Pages

Monday, May 24, 2010

Mrs. Dow-Ward's "garden"

Spring gardening has begun in Mrs. Dow-Ward's neighborhood.  This past Saturday I spent the vast part of the day hunkered over my flower beds.  I have 3 beds that I currently maintain in our front yard.
Last year I did quite a bit of work to establish these spaces and this year it has been much easier since all I had to do was weed and plant.  Notice I said...."ALL".  Gracious, this year not only did I weed and plant...I also developed a rather ridiculous sunburn around my neck that would rival any high fashion bib necklace on the market!

Here is the garden last summer (2009)....from the beginning....


.... After 4 weeks of growth 2009 ....


.... July 2009 ....



.... May 2010 first planning ....



.... May 2010 second planing ....




Summer 2009 when I started "gardening" I didn't have a particular formula for what I was going to plant, or knowledge of how big the plants would get.  I just picked colors that I liked and things that were on sale.  The stones that make the flower beds came from a pile in our back yard.  Thankfully there was enough to make a few good stacks along the edges, I would love to have more though. 

This summer I've not been as motivated to start planting until this past week.  I was much more on top of it last year.  Perhaps...it was because it was the first time and I had no idea how much work it was going to be...and THIS time I did.  

Last week I started things quite slow buy giving the herbs and flowers that had made it through the winter a little bit of a trim.  They were way over grown, I was quite surprised that they had done that well.  Like I said, I didn't really know what to expect from the first season of planting.  My herbs were huge....I had no idea they would grow that big that fast.

I started this year with a nice set of pink flowers.  This is the first time I will admit to making an obvious error.  I didn't notice that they were "shade" flowers until I was finished planting them.  The beds they were planted in are more of the FULL SUN persuasion.  We'll see how that works out.  After realizing what I had done, I considered doing a second planting with the thought in mind that the shade flowers would either die, or have to be removed and re planted elsewhere.  To date, they have been in the ground 9 days and have shown no signs of death.  Perhaps they will be shaded enough by the FULL SUN flowers I put in over the weekend? Time shall tell.

Stay tuned for a summer of bright pinks, oranges, reds, and a touch of yellow!

1 comment:

  1. You are more than welcome to come to Dallas and plant in my flowerbeds.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message at the beep...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...