Saturday, October 19, 2013

#dwh2: Fans.

#dwh2 is a fixer-upper. However, I would not call this house a gut job. I know there were many people who did think so. Alas, we do not. It needs updating. That doesn't include removing every last particle. At least not within the first 5 minutes of living here.

We are slowly checking things off the list of "we can do it" tasks. One of them was to paint all of the fans in the pool. We've been trying to come up with a name for it other than pool room because that means to most people that we would play pool in there. We call it the pool room because it is a room with an indoor pool in it. That's hard to explain sometimes. #firstworldproblems

So, I give you the offending fan.

Brown, leafy, more black and a bad lantern.

The pool room has a lot of lighting. 
There are 10 bulb fixtures with round lanterns on them. I like them. 
There are also 8 recessed lights. 
And last but not least, 3 offending ceiling fans. 
...and a partridge in a pear tree. 

The lanterns that go all the way around the pool are original to the house. 
We really like them. So..let's see what we can do to build this in to the fans...

As you can see below, the lanterns have a certain (cough, cough) shape to them. 
...pointy, you know what I'm saying.

The name of the game as we've moved in has been "PAINT". 
We've painted so many things to help give it a new face. 
So when looking at the fans, this was the logical answer. 
I priced some new fans but that project rang up at about $950 including the electrician. 
I'm not so keen on spending that amount on fans. Not today, probably not ever.

AND....the reveal.

Thank the dear sweet spray paint lords that this worked out. 
It took A LOT of paint. Like....A LOT. 
For each fan it took approximately 2.5 cans of spray paint.
The fan blades are sizable but they really soaked up the paint. 
Also, they needed painted front and back because of the angle they are installed.

 Remember what they DID look like?

Yes, I was rather glad to have this little chore done and off the list. 
Next up in the pool room...
1. Give it a better name
2. Paint the rest of the room. (probably in the spring)

It took about 2-3 days per set of fan blades to paint them. 
So this project while seemingly easy, took a couple weekends to complete. 
I think that this really made a difference in the space. 
Changing out the lantern and painting the blades in total cost about $25 per fan. 
I'd like to paint the body of the fan too, though didn't this time. 
I kind of like it with the black body, so time shall tell. 

This room is the room in the house that needs the most work long term so ultimately the fan blades are a very small drop in the bucket (pool) but for now it seems quite lovely. 

We got about 3-4 big projects done over fall break last weekend. So I'm excited to share them with you as they finish up and come together later this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a message at the beep...


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...