Pages

Thursday, March 18, 2010

another day - another $

This morning we bounded out of bed like a couple of springs, rarrr-ing to go. Geoff went off on his way, me on mine.
I had many "fabulous" finds today. I started my day at Bliss SoHo and got a mani/pedi. I have only been to Bliss one other time, in Chicago and decided it was time for another trip. I got a "minx" pedicure and it was glorious, all one could hope for and more when it comes to having another person touch your feet. (I actually hate feet.) The manicure was also highly desirable.

I'm no stranger to the cheap thrill of a mani/pedi so it came to me as a great surprise that I hadn't considered what would happen after I got the pedicure...as in, I'm not in Memphis and able to get back into my car and drive away. I wore shoes to Bliss and they aren't the kind of establishment that gives you those little paper thing flip-flops. You can, however, make the purchase of a pair of Havanas for a small fee. I declined and high stepped down Broadway to another establishment to make the purchase of a pair of flip-flops that 1. actually fit and 2. I liked. (Their selection was unfortunately not desirable to me. I love Havanas, just not the ones they had.)
My day continued just south of Elizabeth and Houston St. at my favorite space "Tory Burch SoHo". Every detail of that store is appealing to me, not just their fabulous couture and dazzle worthy footwear, the finishing edges on the awning on the front of their store some how rings my bell and when seeing it I felt inspired. Does anybody else ever feel that way? Visual stimulation is a fascinating thing isn't it???


Upon leaving Tory Burch, or T.B. as my mother and I refer to her via text message, I walked south on Elizabeth street back to Prince and walked towards Broome. Before I got off Prince I passed a Catholic Elementary School. In the window there was a sign that one could assume a child made. The sign read, "pray for our school"....so, I stopped and prayed for their school. Thank you Book of Common Prayer for your education collect, quick and right to the point. 30 seconds later, I was back on the move.

Once I started walking down Cleveland street I noticed a movie poster of Sandra Bullock (by the way the cover of the New Yorker is a picture of her and says, "Blind Sided") from her recent movie with Ryan Reynolds where she's a Canadian in need of a visa...the store was pink and white and had big fluffy curtains. The next thing I know...I'm pushing the front door open. Did my eyes follow my nose or did my nose follow my eyes? Either way, it seemed as though there was a good deal inside. Regardless, I'm not sure if it was my eyes or my nose, I was right. The jewelry inside was fantastic. For me, a planned purchase, not something I could just haul off and buy, but none the less something that has now found it's way to my "wish list".



As I waked away from the store, wondered on to Broome street and found yet another fabulous store! French antiques have a soft spot in my heart....Oh lord. I can't believe I just said that. What a surreal combination of words to come out of my mouth.
The store is called Penine Hart Antiques and Art. Her windows were fabulous and the displays practically called my name.
http://www.peninehart.com
As it turns out....Penine is really a design and art celebrity. Well, at least I think she is. Her bio and list of accomplishments made me quite thrilled to have the pleasure to meet her!


As I walked away from Penine's store I b lined towards Canal. I was on a mission to find a St. Patrick's Day NYC magnet for our friends Ann and Jack..it was their personal request. The long and the short of it is that I found the magnet, and was I walked back west towards Broadway I was feeling a little badgered by the throngs of people whispering things resembling, "Rolex, Louis Vuitton, Hermes" as I walked by. I swear, I thought the City of New York had that problem under control.

Several more blocks later...I was at Dean and Deluca at Broadway and Prince. Just across from where I started my day many hours before. My trip in D and D was quick. I purchased one French stick, 2 kinds of cheese, so organic beer, a freshly pruned container of strawberry/blueberries and was on my way. I had gathered several parcels along my walk today so as I walked out the door and down into the subway I felt a little like Julie Powell in Julie and Julia when she left that very same Dean and Deluca carrying all the food and the branches she carried. Like Julie, I was whacking people right and left with all of my shopping bags... the tragic part is that I wasn't even carrying branches. 11 short minutes later I was walking back out to street level at 51st and Lexington, walked a few blocks south and back into the apartment building.
Geoff arrived several minutes later and we enjoyed our treats on the balcony as we watched the sun start to fall over the Chrysler Building.

Dinner reservation tonight at Balthazar. Although I must admit I feel strangely loyal to the fact that my Jayhawks are playing tonight....The obvious answer to my pondering question is, "Duh Hilary you're in NYC and a basketball is nothing more than leather and air"....perhaps I should stick to those guns.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, this is your Mother still following. At least I'm not asking (as Julie's Mom did), "Why are you doing this?" I actually know why. What fun! Happy writing, happy reading!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message at the beep...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...